Table of Contents
[ Welcome ][ Group ][ Research ][ Publications ][ CV ][ MISC ][ My Christian Blog ][ Church Stuff ]
Workshop and Seminar News
- Dec 5-6: DFG RealPEP Research Group Meeting, Organiser
- Dec 5: NHR National High Performance Resource Group Meeting
- Nov 17-18: KIAPS Science Advisory Committee (SAC) in Seoul, Korea
- Nov 14-16: KIAPS International Symposium on Numerical Weather Prediction, Seul, Korea Web
- Oct 19-20: DWD-DLR Steering Group Meeting
- Oct 6-7: DWD-KIT Steering Group Meeting
- Oct 4-6: Mathematics of Weather MOW 2022, Bad Orb, Germany Web
- Oct 5: NHR Workshop Stuttgart (National High-Performance Computing) User Committee https://www.nhr-gs.de/
- Sept 28-30: ICES Foundation Geneva, Bi-Annual Conxerence Invited Panel Contribution
- Sept 28: ESM-W (Earth System Modeling on the Weather Scale) Project Kick-Off, Organiser
- Sept 22-23: national ESM Strategy Steering Committee Meeting in Hamburg
- Sept 12-16: COSMO General Meeting in Athens https://cosmo-model.org
- Sept 4-9: European Meteorological Society Annual Meeting Bonn https://www.ems2022.eu/ co-organized by DWD
- Sept 1: NWP Seminar at DWD Prof. Stammer (Hamburg) visiting scientist
- Aug 31-Sept 2: Takashi Furuya visiting scientist paper
- Aug 29-30: Days of Digital Technology Berlin, Panel Discussion Participation Web
- Aug 16-22: Reading and London
- Aug 8-9: Max-Planck Institute for Meteorology Hamburg, Strategic Meetings on ICON Development
- July 26-30: DWD Leadership Meetings Development Strategy - management board and department heads FE, WV, KU, TI
- July 13+20: CONTRAILS Project Kick-Off Meetings, compare Project at BMWK, see also Press Release, Press Release from Paris Kick-Off
- July 1: ESM-W Project starting: Earth System Modeling in the Weather Regime. First project scientists working on observations (conventional, remote) and data assimilation algorithms for couples atmosphere-ocean forecasting start their work.
- June 26-28: Trilateral Digital Twin Directors Meeting Bologna, Italy
- June 21-23: Machine Learning and Data Assimilation, Imperial College, London MLDADS 2022
- June 20-22: ICON All-Staff Developer Meeting and ICON-Consolidated Developer Meeting, Frankfurt ICON-All-Staff
- June 13-15: 1st Workshop on Data Science for GNSS Remote Sensing https://www.d4g-2022.de/
- June 7-10: AMA22 (Ateliers de Modélisation de l'Atmosphère 2022), Toulouse Web
- June 6-10: 8th International Symposium on Data Assimilation in Colorado, US https://www.cira.colostate.edu/conferences/isda/
- May 18: Kick-Off German-French AI Programme, Paris, AI Village (Global Industrie Fair) https://global-industrie.com/en
- May 12: Coordination Group Numerical Weather Prediction KG-NWV
- May 4-6: DWD Research and Development (FE) Leadership Meeting Hohenpeißenberg R&D at DWD
- May 2-3: ICON-Seamless Workshop Hamburg by MPI, DWD, KIT and DKRZ
- April 28-29: DFG Research Group RealPEP Workshop at Bonn Web
- April 22: ICON-Directors Board and ICON-Coordination Group Meeting
- March 30-April 1: NWP-SAF CDOP3 Final Meeting and CDOP4 Kick-Off Meeting Exeter https://nwp-saf.eumetsat.int/site/
- March 21-25: DACH Meteorology Conference https://www.dach2022.net/, Leipzig, Co-Convenor on NWP Session
- March 14: national Earth System Modelling Initiative https://www.nat-esm.de/services/request-for-sprints, Extended Steering Group Meeting on Sprint Selection
- March 10-22: COSMO Consortium for Small-Scale Modelling Steering Committee (STC) http://cosmo-model.org/
- March 7-11: ICCARUS Meeting at DWD (ICON COSMO CLM ART User Seminar), 370 registered participants, keynote talks and contributed talks Web, Programme Talk PDF ICON Strategy 2022
- March 2: Webinar Artificial Intelligence meets Numerical Weather Prediction (ICamCloudOps) Web Survey Talk
- Feb 20-26: Mathematical Research Institute Oberwolfach, Workshop on Data Assimilation – Mathematical Foundation and Applications Web
- Feb 10: Coordination Group Numerical Weather Prediction (KG-NWV)
- Feb 7-8: Co-Design Workshop DWD - German States Flood-Prediction Units
- Feb 1-2: DFG Research Group RealPEP Phase II Kick-Off Meeting Web
- Jan 28: ICON-Directors Board (ICON-D5) and ICON-Steering Group (ICON-C5) Meeting
- Jan 24-25: C2SM-DWD Bilateral Leadership Meeting
- Jan 20-21: 2nd ICON-Consolidated Workshop (online) with DWD, MPI, KIT, DKRZ, C2SM
Previous News News RP 2021, News RP 2020, News RP 2019, News RP 2018, News RP 2017, News RP 2016.
Modeling, Data Assimilation and Inverse Problems
Our department FE1 for Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) of the German Weather Service (DWD) consists of about 90 scientists at DWD headquarters in Offenbach close to Frankfurt/Main and in Potsdam close to Berlin, about 40 of them on funded R&D projects. The department consists of four sections, with 20-25 scientists each:
- Data Assimilation and Predictability (FE11),
- Observations Modeling and Verification (FE12),
- Numerical Modeling (FE13),
- Physical Processes and Dispersion (FE14).
DWD is a part of the German Ministery of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI), but our work is carried out in intensive cooperation with
- the German Climate Computing Center DKRZ,
- ETH Zurich, in particular C2SM,
- the weather services of the COSMO Consortium (Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Poland, Romania, Greece and Israel),
- the Hans-Ertel Center HErZ research branches at the Universities of Munich, Bonn, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin
and further international partners such as the
- European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting ECMWF located in Reading, Bologna and Bonn.
- EUMETSAT, in particular the NWP-SAF Consortium with the Partners MetOffice (UK), Meteo-France, ECMWF and DWD.
We are working on modeling and data assimilation for numerical weather prediction (NWP) and earth system simulation (ESM). Our main task is to provide operational data assimilation and forecasting with
- ICON-global, i.e. a global NWP-model with 13km resolution, 90 layers 75km height, run every 3 hours 24/7,
- ICON-EU, i.e. its mesoscale two-way-nesting area over Europe with 6.5km resolution and the
- ICON-D2, i.e. high-resolution convection-permitting analysis and forecasts over central Europe with 2km resolution, 24km height analysis every hour 24/7, forecasts every three hours.
We prepare a rapid update cycle (RUC) with forecasts every hour in integration with Nowcasting techniques. This system is called
- ICON-RUC and SINFONY, see also SINFONY Webpage.
Our development and services include ensemble data assimilation for the ensemble prediction systems
- ICON-EPS global with 40 km resolution and 40 members and
- ICON-EU-EPS with 20km resolution over Europe with 40 members as well as
- ICON-D2-EPS with 2km resolution over central Europe, 40 members.
We run a
- hybrid ensemble-variational data assimilation scheme (EnVar) globally, i.e. a variational data assimilation scheme, coupled with an Localized Ensemble Transform Kalman Filter (LETKF).
- For ICON-D2 we employ the four-dimensional version of the Localized Ensemble Transform Kalman Filter (4D-LETKF).
- Particle filters, in particular the Localized Adaptive Particle Filter LAPF and Localized Mixture Coefficients Particle Filter LMCPF are available for global and regional scale and are being used for research within the operational framework.
- EnVar for convective-scale ICON-D2 is under development,
- 4D-EnVAR for both global and regional systems
- an ultra-rapid data assimilation scheme (URDA) based on our ensemble and also
- a coarse EnVar (cEnVar) using our global ensemble for regional ensemble data assimilation world-wide are being developed and tested.
Data Assimilation includes the use of a broad varity of both direct and remote sensing measurements from
- Ground Stations and Ships (SYNOP),
- Radio Sondes (TEMP) and dropsondes,
- Air Planes (AMDAR, AIREP, ACAR, …),
- Atmospheric Motion Vectors (AMV),
- Scatterometers (SCAT),
- Infrared Sounders (IR),
- Microwave Sounders (MW) and Microwave Radiometers (MWR),
- LIDAR including Clound Bottom Height (CBH), Cloud Top Height (CTH), Backscatter Profiles, Line-of-Sight Winds (AEOLUS), Ceilometers,
- RADAR including RADAR Radial Winds, RADAR Reflectivity and RADAR Dual Polarization,
- GPS/GNSS including Radio Occultations (RO), Zenith Total Delay (ZTD), Slant Total Delay (STD),
Geostationary satellites and polar orbiting satellites are used operationally, while a lot of research is going into the better use of hyperspectral observations (many thousand frequencies per observed atmospheric column) in particular over land and in cloudy situations. The observation and reconstruction of snow, ice, sea surface temperature, land surface temperature, coverage, emissivity and soil moisture is a very active area of research. Also, the observation and data assimilation of clouds and convective processes with high-impact phenomena such as thunderstorms, heavy rain and wind gusts with lead times from minutes to days is a special focus of our research.
The research of our group at the University of Reading, UK, is concerned with inverse problems and data assimilation in three areas:
- numerical weather prediction (NWP),
- cognitive neuroscience / neural field theory (NFT),
- inverse scattering problems / remote sensing.
These are extremely exciting areas scientifically and very important for society, for example for air traffic control, severe weather warnings and national energy supply, in medicine by medical imaging and for many industrial and environmental questions.
Since October 2020 I am heading the department on Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) of DWD with about 100 researchers in-house. There are four division heads in this department to lead sections of approximately 20-35 researchers each, see group.